May 10, 2009

Our Mother's Day Adventure

 

 

 

 


Here are some photos from our Wombeyan Caves adventure.

Firstly let me say a very Happy Mother's Day to all of the beautiful mums out there. I believe that our job is the most special one of all. I hope that you had a fantastic day and that you were treated.

We had an extremely interesting Mother's Day. We didn't have any real plans as such. We hadn't booked into anywhere and we knew that everywhere would be busy. The boys made me some breakfast in bed which I enjoyed. Then the boys gave me their Mother's Day Stall gifts and their little handmade cards. The handmade stuff is really my favourite part. Then I got up and got the boys dressed and Chris suggested that we go to Berrima and have some lunch. I though it was a good idea so we packed up and off we went. We started to do some exploring and found ourselves on a trail to Wombeyan Caves and then we noticed that we would not have enough petrol to do a return trip and that we would have to turn around and head into Berrima. This is when Luke started to panic and stress. We had plenty of petrol to get there but it was the fact that we didn't know where the petrol station was that had him worried. He is such a worry wart. Where does it come from? I must admit that I found it all rather amusing as the night before we had watched Wolf Creek and I got totally freaked out and this little adventure was heading right down the Wolf Creek path. The signs looked the same, we were about to run out of petrol and then there was a park in the middle of no-where with a man standing there playing a flute. Hmmm interesting.

Anyway we got petrol and got something to eat and headed off on our journey. We decided to try the cave trip - little did we know the journey that we were about to undertake. So the trip started OK and then we hit a dirt road which was OK. Then we were on a side of a cliff and the road was progressively getting thinner. At this point Luke was crying and rather distressed. We probably would have turned around but that would have meant putting some tyres over the edge of the cliff. You had to sound your horn on blind corners as there was certainly no room to pass each other. We did meet a few cars and we had to sneak past each other- at which point Chris would ask "How close to the edge are we?" The trip was long and nerve racking and Luke was a mess when we finally arrived. We were running late for the last Guided Tour through the caves and then had to run up and down hills to catch up. We made it leaving me thinking how are we ever going to make it out of this place. When we entered the caves I told myself and the kids to enjoy them as this would probably be the first and the last time that we would do this trip. The caves were amazing. So pretty and interesting and I really enjoyed the tour.

When we got back to the car Luke started to stress again and cry. We asked some of the people we were on the tour with about the road out and they gave us another suggestion - thank God!!! We came home through Goulburn. So I would highly recommend the caves but I would suggest going through Goulburn. We didn't get home until about 8pm that night. It was probably the best Mother's Day I have had as I had no expectations of the day and what an adventure we had. It is a shame that Luke was so upset by the trip.

I loved this quote that I received from MTL Newsletter;
"Anyone who thinks the art of conversation is dead ought to tell a child to go to bed."
Robert Gallagher

The other one that made me laugh was;
"Always be nice to your children because they are the ones who will choose our rest home." Phyllis Diller

Love to All
Rell
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Helene said...

Oh Rell, I know that road well. Years ago I read that the road was graded(what ever that means) during the school holidays so me made that same trip but we were in the Lancer. David was so not happy with me but the caves are so beautiful. It is so much easier from Golburn.
Hope to see you soon.
Helene
xoxo

Michelle said...

The caves look absolutely beautiful!!